1.11.2009

Growing Independent Children

I am a independent person. Okay, that may be a bit of an understatement. I am a VERY independent person. I like to accomplish things by myself. Not because I feel like I have to prove something or that I don't enjoy working with others, I just get a sense of satisfaction that I can do it myself. I guess I am a little old fashioned that way-the whole "A hard days work for a days pay" type mentality.

I like pushing myself sometimes just to see if I can do it. Like, can I mow the whole lawn when I am 8 1/2 months pregnant. Not because I have to, just to see if I can. My poor husband thought he might get lynched by the neighbors for letting me try such a thing. He just shrugs his shoulders and says she wouldn't have it any other way. And I wouldn't. In my defense, it was a self propelled mower and we don't have any hills.=) It's like a great power walk!

Being so independent I have a tendency to not always be the most patient person when trying to teach my children to do things. I have to admit the thought has entered my mind more than once "I can do this faster myself" and at times I do just do it myself. But as much as I like to do things myself, my way, I do want my children to leave this house having learned how to work, how to complete a job completely and with good workmanship, and be competent, responsible adults in society.

Achieving this in children is no small task. Some of my kids have inherited my genes and naturally have a love for organizing and tidying things up, others need a little push once in a while. Though I am happy that they all are humble enough to at least try.

So here comes the great story to show that my kids really have been paying attention to me somewhere along the way. After church today Brooke was "starving"(her word not mine) and headed right to the kitchen to make some food for lunch. Some kids may come and say, "I'm hungry" wanting me to make them something to eat. Not Brooke. I asked her once why she wanted to always do everything herself and she frankly replied, "If I ask you to do it then I have to go to you, ask you, then you have to come and do it. If I do it myself I am just here and I do it" Smart kid.

Everyone else was back in our bedroom and when we all came out for lunch Brooke had not only made chicken for herself,(via microwave) but also for her two younger sisters! Now that is independence for you. Independence mixed with a sweet sense of service. What could be better. I couldn't have been prouder. It was one of those sweet moments as parents we can sit back and reap the blessings of being a parent.


Here is a picture for you per Brooke's request. At this age she feels she does have something to prove. I can understand. I am also a third born.
And yes, I am aware that is a ginormous pile of ranch dressing on her plate. A huge bottle of ranch dressing, a five year old-you do the math. The down side of independence I guess.

2 comments:

The Simon Family said...

Amen to that! You know you're doing something right when you see a kid like Brooke. :) I am reminded of your personality when I see that beautiful kitchen table of yours and where it came from... ;)

Amy said...

You make me want to be a better person that includes the mom side of me. You are so amazing at writing and photography...But your mommy skills are something to be coveted. Maybe I should wish to be you one week end a month.