5.03.2010

{ A View From My Blanket }

The other day it was a nice, warm, breezy 70’s degrees out, and our backyard meadow was beckoning us from inside to come out and enjoy it’s barefoot grass and cool shade. Without much convincing we grabbed our two “crazy quilts”, some books, and settled down in a comfortable spot. Brooke read to us, Erika gathered leaves, and Scott and Abby explored the backyard, coming back occasionally to tell us of their finds.Brooke reading blog  Blanket 1Gathering leaves blog  

I lay on those two quilts, eyes closed, enjoying a few minutes of peaceful outdoor chatter from the birds and bees busily humming around us. My thoughts turned to my Grandma-the maker of the quilts we were now lounging on. Today is her birthday- she is 91 years old. 91 years of living life to it’s fullest. 91 years of hard work.91 years of being a mother to 5 children, 20 grandchildren, and over 20 great-grandchildren. 91 years of faithfully sending out birthday, anniversary, and Christmas cards to everyone. 91 years of sewing. 91 years of serving others. 91 years of watching and working to make the ground she called home blossom with flowers, vegetables, and crops. 91 years of making our life happy.

Erika on blanket blog

I wonder in 59 more years when I am 91 if I will still have the time to come and lay out on my blankets and enjoy a springtime nap. I wonder how my view from my blanket will be then? I will maybe remember when my body only hurt temporarily from the aches of pregnancy, and not from just my older lived in body it now owned. I will probably have a book next to me somewhere on that blanket, now with all the time in the world to read. I know  I will still love to kick off my flip flops and walk around barefoot in the grass. I am sure I will close my eyes, and this time think of these very faces that now run around me. I will remember a simpler time when all I had to do was just hold them close, give them hugs and kisses, and love them all day long. A view from my blanket I will love to remember at any age.

3 comments:

dre @ Pulse MGMT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dre + Drew - Pacific Northwest Living - DuPont, WA said...

Beautifully written! I felt like I was there experiencing the day with you!

The Simon Family said...

Monae! I miss reading your posts! We've been terribly busy with very little time on the computer. You're an amazing woman! Congratulations on being pregnant!